Saturday 3 October 2015

MAKING WOOD HINGES:

Over the last six or seven months I have neglected this blog. life as it happens does not work to a script and having been a video producer for meany years I'me use to working to a script, planning a shot list then compiling the video to tel a story or present a message in a logical structured way. Apparently life doesn't work this way. So in future I will try and keep this in mind and write and present things as they happen not as I planned them.
My Instagram account seems to be quite successful and i really di enjoy the whole Instagram community. 
I do find it very difficult to tell a story or explain a process so I plan in a not to planned way to use the blog in parallel with Instagram to explain what I'm doing in more detail for those interested in a particular action or process also shearing a few of the good parts of life, so I start TODAY.


Looking out of my workshop these are the types of things we experience on a daily basis, the nature where we live is absolutely amazing.

HINGES

I've been working on the hinges for a nest of boxes I've been making, I have had a number of questions on how I do this so below is how It works.

I draw the pattern on the computer using google sketchup, print out the pattern and cut the pattern out. The hinge is based on the box joint.



I then cover the wood I've chosen for the hing with tape and glue the pattern to the tape, much easier to remove the tape then to try and scrape the paper from the Hinge.


Using a Scroll saw I cut out the pattern always cutting to the wast side of the line.


A Band saw or hand saw and chisel can also be used for this part of the process.





The fit should be tight but not so tight as to not be able to move the parts by hand.


Next push the two parts together at a 90 degree angle and round over the edges. If the hinge is only to move 90 degrees only one edge has to be rounded if the hinge is to move more than 90 degrees then both sides need to be rounded over.


Drill the center hole for the pin.


I use a brass nail and cut off the ends for small hinges such as this, and for the a large hinge I will use a wood dowel.  


Next sand and adjust the hinge as required.


 I will cover fitting the hinge at a later date.

No comments: