Wednesday 30 July 2014

CELTIC SHARK, INLAID WOOD BOX POST V

ANOTHER BEAUTIFUL DAY IN PARADISE:


In some way life, couldn't be better, doesn't mean I'm not thinking off every one, affected by the crazy men. who think they should control the world, power for sake of power, why not just live in peace. 




Yesterday I finished, with gluing the box together, today I will start the top, maybe not possible to finish, as there is a lot of waiting for glue to dry.
Next I cut the MDF to fit in the top opening, this needs to be a firm but not a tight fit, as the MDF may expand later and force the sides of the box out, breaking the joints (BUMMER).



Then I put painters tape on the top of this panel, before using double sided tape (a lot easier to remove).


A strip of tape along the top of the long sides, this is to allow for the thickness of the tape on the top. I am trying for a very flat surface.




Using a scrap of anything that is flat, and wider than the top, stick down to the two sided tape, as in the above picture.




I put glue around the edges and gently push into place, this needs to be as flat and smooth as possible.


After the glue has dried remove the scrap on top. 




Next I cut the inlaid panel, I cut this oversized and trim later. 



Apply an even coat of PVA glue to the bottom of the inlay panel, and the top of the box, allow to dry



Then when dry apply a second coat of PVA glue to both surfaces and allow to dry. 


 When dry, center the pattern on the box. WAITING WAITING WAITING!!!


When the waiting is over and the glue is finally dry, position the inlay panel on the top of the box.



With the tip of a hot iron, heat the center of the panel and hold in place until cool.


Place a piece of painters tape across the end of the box.


And using my home made marking gauge, with the scalpel blade, set to the required depth, scribe along the edge, the painters tape is to protect the inlay panel.







Continue around the circumference of the box.




Remove the painters tape and excess veneer.



Using a hot iron, iron the veneer to the substrate, ensuring there are no gaps or bubbles.

Run out of time, try again tomorrow.

I have put a contact by email page in the side column, if you have any questions I am most happy to answer them.

No comments: